Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The God Who Whispers

"It's impossible to know for sure if there's a God, and even if there is, I'd be a fool to think I could figure out what he wanted me to do or to be," Kristin tells me.

She is serious, this dear friend. Dead wrong and dead serious.

People who doubt God's presence tend to be ones who want a shout of proof from God, bold evidence of his presence and purpose.

Living life in a whirlwind of activity and fray will produce weariness, even desperation, but not assurance of God's presence and will. God does not shout over the whirlwind. He whispers in the silence.

It's tempting to ask God to speak loudly from the heavens and make Himself known to doubters. Perhaps open up the sky and show the throne room or say again: This is My Beloved Son and I am pleased with Him. Or maybe send down a fireball to light up a water-logged altar. Shake people in their boots a bit.

Until the final day when the trumpets sound, the clouds part and Jesus returns victorious, there is nothing left to prove, nothing left for God to shout.

He has much that He wants to whisper.
Come, I will give you rest.  
My yoke is easy and My burdens are light.  
I know the plans I have for you, plans to give you a future and a hope.
He has much that He wants to say to us.
Call to Me. 
I will tell you wonderful things that you do not know.
He has much that He wants to sing.
My everlasting love is deeper than the sea.
God is not going to shout over the whirlwind so that Kristin believes that He is real and has a plan for her. He is whispering to her, though.
Be still and know that I am God.
I ache in prayer for Kristin. God is there and He is not silent.

A lost lamb does not hear the voice of the shepherd over the noise of the storm, but in the devastating aftermath, exhausted and wounded, comforting words whisper into the silence

When all else fails we are more likely to look up, to see clearly, to listen. I pray it doesn't take a calamity for Kristin to be still and listen to the God who waits to rescue her.
I know My sheep and My sheep hear My voice and they follow Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment