Sunday, May 15, 2011

Goldfinches Come to Tea


Six goldfinch couples landed quietly in my redbud tree. I had become frustrated in my morning prayer, impatient and weary, grateful for a restful distraction. I refilled my tea cup and settled in to watch their antics.

Zipping to and fro, apparently stretching their achy flight muscles, the female goldfinches settled on a branch, looking ready for someone to pour tea and pass out scones. They seemed to be chatting with one another and I laughed. What encouraging words does a Lady Goldfinch have to share with her friends? Were they wanting the menfolk to stop and ask for directions? Were they, like me, nervous about the future and longing to see God's plan?

As I returned my thoughts to prayer, the wrestling with God didn't seem quite as desperate. I had been wanting a "burning bush" like Moses was given, some evidence of God's plan for the rest of my life, His vision for my heart, for my next adventure. Do you ever feel that way? "I'll do whatever You want, Lord. Just please show me the plan so I can get started."

I had asked for a burning bush and God set a redbud tree afire with goldfinches. I finished my tea, smiling at them, refreshed from their visit. The Goldfinches had stopped their animated chatting and had begun to sing. I sang along with them: "I sing because I'm happy. I sing because I'm free. For His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me!"

"He holds the future in the palm of His hands and He has never failed us yet. I know He's reigning and He still has control. So why should I worry or fret?"

No comments:

Post a Comment