Friday, May 27, 2011

The Lady and the Cowboy

He was leaning against his mailbox waiting for me. Six foot, four inches of cowboy, solid as a rock. He was holding a giant mug of coffee in one hand and a Stetson in the other. I'd seen him in his truck, but he looked more intimidating up close.

"Good morning," he said with a slow grin. "You have worms."

I laughed. "Smart man. Wanta go fishing?" We introduced ourselves, becoming neighbors rather than strangers, as I explained that the worms were to show the children in my life.

"I told my wife about you waving to me every morning," he said softly. "Told her about the lady in our neighborhood that kept waving to me even though I scowled at her every day."

I smiled, remembering all the mornings I had seen him driving off to work, worn down and discouraged. "Well, it was a nice scowl. Not so scary really. I suppose I thought one day you'd wave back and smile."

"Cheered me up, it did. Been thinking on it. Most people just look on by other folks."

I nodded. And just that easily, there it was: the opportunity to give a reason for the hope that is within me. God is real. The Bible is true. Jesus is alive. I have never been more filled with peace and hope and love than I am today.

"He has shown you, oh, man, what is good; and what the Lord requires of you: to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." ~Micah 6:8

A generation of people, crushed with discouragement and lost in distractions, are in a great crowd of witnesses surrounding us. We, the people of His possession, are called to walk humbly with our God in the midst of them.

Who are the people in your neighborhood? C'mon. You bring the one next to you and I'll bring the one next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment