Monday, February 20, 2012

How Could You?

Recently my friend Sherry watched her father succumb to a horrendous battle with cancer. "How can the God I trust allow such cruel pain?" she sobbed.  "Everybody suffers, but to allow it to this degree is just mean when He could have stopped it!"

Joya toddled cheerfully from the chair to the sofa. Reaching triumphantly to grasp for balance, she fell backwards on her bottom. Disappointment shrieked. Her accusing eyes met mine. "How could you let this happen?" she seemed to say. "I thought you loved me."

I have walked a lot of miles with Joya by now. She is confident of my love and secure when I am with her.  But she can fall down even if I'm walking right beside her. It doesn't mean I allowed it to happen.  She knows that with unconditional love, I'll pick her up and carry her. I'll mend her cuts and bruises. I'll cry when she cries. I'll be happy when she gets well. She knows I am always available to encourage her as she learns and grows. 

In all the moments of my life, God has walked beside me. The wonder of God's love is not that He keeps us from suffering, but that He promises to be with us when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment