Monday, May 7, 2012

Roses Through the Window

A soft trail of rain dripping down the window pane this morning causes my bush to look distorted. The view from my window looks like an Impressionist has painted the bush. New growth is accented with a bold stroke of intense red.  Bright bold roses have faded into the background with a touch of pale pink. Though I daily examine this bush to enjoy the changes from bud to flower, I have seldom noticed the new growth until now.

The tiny leaves have been budding, multiplying, bringing nutrients and life every day. An incredible amount of work has gone unnoticed, unappreciated. Clear sunny skies and dark stormy nights have continued to take turns prodding the bush toward new growth, building strength, character and beauty. From the seedling first planted, the rose bush is becoming more beautiful and abundant season after season.

My life is full of roses. They are so charming, so encouraging, so much fun that they easily catch my eye. Peyton painted me a picture. Kerri wrote me a note. Hannah played Fur Elise. Steve gave me a song. Elizabeth fixed my computer. God and others tuck surprises and gifts into the corners of every day. Even during difficult times He is turning everything bad into good. I'm learning to enjoy my gifts, to live a more grateful life, to notice even the small buds and blossoms.

Like leaves on a plant spiritual disciplines are making me strong and creating character and beauty.  Steadfast prayer, memorization of Bible verses, ministering to the needs of others, fasting, loving the Word of God, faithfulness in meeting with other Christians train me to grow more beautiful and abundant season after season. God is doing an incredible amount of work in me whether I notice and appreciate it or not.  He is faithful even when I do not see it.

His delight is in the law of the Lord.  He meditates on it day and night. He will be like a tree, firmly planted by streams of water, which yields fruit and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers. ~Psalm 1:2, 3  

No comments:

Post a Comment