Sunday, March 1, 2015

Cake With Frosting

Creamy, sweet batter dripped from the beaters as my mother turned off the mixer and pushed the button to release them. Laying them aside on the counter, she poured the rich batter into the baking pan, then returned the beaters to the empty bowl. 

"Can I lick the bowl?" I asked my mother as she slid the cake into the oven.

I doubt that in all my childhood there was ever a cake made when some child didn't lick the bowl. Swirling the last sweet bites onto a finger and sliding it across your tongue is a treasured childhood memory for many of us.

"Can I have the biggest piece?" is often the request when a child looks wide-eyed at the freshly frosted cake waiting to be served.

The mother of James and John requested of Jesus special preference to be given to her sons in Heaven. Can one son sit on Your right and one sit on Your left? The other disciples murmured, appalled at such boldness. We all want to be "the disciple whom Jesus loved."

Like that wonderful frosted cake, there's enough grace and love for everyone. God passes out grace upon grace, and there is enough for everyone to be completely satisfied. One person may get more grace and love because he deserves more or needs more, but we all are satisfied.

Enough joy. Enough love. Enough grace. Enough.

As Mary Poppins says, "Enough is as good as a feast."
Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. I am the  Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city.
- Revelation 22:12-14
You may also want to read:  A Pie for Lynette, The Making of a Woman and The Happy Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment