Tuesday, January 14, 2020

A Cinnamon Roll for Your Thoughts

"My life feels impossible," Abby told me. " I know God is good, but I don't seem strong."

Abby has a physically exhausting job on her feet all day. When she gets off work, she helps the children with homework as she fixes dinner. As the older children start laundry and cleaning chores, Abby spends time with her baby and handicapped toddler, giving her elderly mother a break to gather her own strength after a busy day. On a good night, her husband takes a break from his second job to encourage her.

"I know I shouldn't complain. My mother is slow and often ill, but she is able to live with us and help out. We have more money coming in than is going out. We have great kids. But I'm tired of how hard it is. Some days are impossible! I worry that our house of cards will fall apart. I should be grateful for all I have, shouldn't I? I'm supposed to be able to do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Dare we admit that life can be harsh, barren and too difficult to bear? Even in our impossible we struggle to be independent and not need anyone's help. We want to say all the right words to show we are faithful. We are thankful for the hardships we don't have and the blessings we do have. We want to be a light in a dark world.

Struggle for survival, success and living a good life wears us down. Instead of being encouraged by others, we are drawn to comparison, frustration and disappointment. We tread water until we can sink into our beds for a few hours, distract ourselves on a screen, or dump our frustrations into social media. What else is there to do when life gets impossible?

Abby did not lack a thankful heart. She did not lack faith in the God who specializes in the impossible. She did not lack a quiet time in her day to pray and read the Word. She knew God was able to do more than she could ask or imagine He could do in her life, so every day she got up, trusting that in her weakness He would give strength. Yet here she sat brokenhearted, soul weary and bone tired.

Who is walking alongside you in your faith journey? It's appropriate to ask for what you need. It's necessary to seek out people who can help you. It's okay that you don't know what to do. We all need people to be the hands and feet of Jesus in our lives. We all need encouragement and people to share our burdens, to pray with us and for us, to pull us into green pastures for rest, to prod us on to love and good works.

Abby finished her tea one day and grinned at me. "It means everything to know I'm not alone even when it feels like I am. We all need that someone who will love our children with us. We all need someone who can be trusted to see when we need a date night or need cinnamon rolls or chicken soup or a lunch date. We all need someone who sees our impossible, makes a pot of tea, picks up our baby and offers hope. We all need to be loved right where are struggling."

"Let us not judge one another any more...let us pursue the things that make for peace and the building up of one another." (Romans 14:13, 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment