Friday, January 10, 2020

To Cuddle a Sword

My Bible is falling apart.

Steve, a friend who is my very heart, has walked alongside me through enough years to know from experience my love for the Word of God. He chuckles and shakes his head appreciatively at my Bible. Pages fall out, many are worn from use during reading, studying, counseling and teaching. Trips to nursing homes, prison, children's homes and churches through the decades have left their marks and scars. Tea stains, coffee stains, tear stains and spit-up stains have shaded the pages as much as my various colors of notes.

Children have listened to stories from my Bible. Unbelievers have heard answers to their questions. Young women have listened to me read it. Long nights have been spent with it wrapped in my arms as I prayed. Touching it brings comfort and strength before I ever open it. I don't feel fully dressed without it nearby.

When she was six, Carolanne, sitting beside me at church where we shared my Bible whispered, "I love your Bible. The pages are soft and I can cuddle them." I want her to cuddle my sword, but, more than that, I want her trained to use her own sword.

And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. (Ephesians 6:17)

The Word of God, the Bible, my Sword, is my most precious tangible possession. It looks raggedy and worn, scarred and torn, but don't let that fool you. It makes me powerful, wise, courageous and equipped for every good work. It has the power to take down looming evil dragons and swat baby dragons aside.

The Word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

Train yourself to use your sword in joy and in sorrow. Practice using it in the easy, in the hard. Study to show yourself as an unashamed soldier, rightly dividing the Word of Truth. Step out of the noise and fray to read it. Memorize it. Meditate on it. Set aside time to know your sword and train yourself to use it.

A soldier-princess learns very quickly that she will never completely understand and master her sword, but she doesn't need to be a master to pick up her sword and use it. She is equipped by the power of the Holy Spirit. She is trained daily in the easy yoke walking and working alongside Jesus. Love the Word of God, soldier-princess. Be more familiar with it than anything else you own, even your cell phone.

What are you doing to train yourself to use your sword?


No comments:

Post a Comment