Friday, February 25, 2011

Voice of One Who Wept


Missions is taking the whole gospel to the whole world by the whole church. Many of us will never reach the mission field on our feet, but we can reach them on our knees.
Today I heard the voice of one
Who wept in far-off lands
Because of sin and misery,
and begged with outstretched hands
For one small lamp to light his dark.

Now fain I would have slept,
So stopped my ears, but in my heart
That sobbing voice still wept.

And then I heard the voice of One who counted not the cost,
But left His ivory palaces to seek and save the lost.
He said, "The sound of one who weeps is coming up to Me.
Dost thou forget that last command which I gave unto thee,
"To preach My Word to all the world?"
...O bitter be our shame!
Still hopeless millions walk the earth
who never heard His name,
And still the world spends lavishly in every crowded mart,
And still the voice of Him who wept is sobbing in my heart!

~Martha Snell Nicholson







No comments:

Post a Comment