Thursday, July 22, 2010

Father's Heart: A Song in the Night

Johnnie smiled over at me, love-tears in her eyes, as she cuddled newborn Bethany Joy closer to her heart. She swallowed hard, took a shaky breath then laughed, surprised by the depth of her joy and emotions. "I always want to be there for her even in the middle of the night, even if she's just lonely and wants to see me," she said softly. She tossed the yellow terry cloth burping towel to me and set the rocker back into motion. As if time stood still, we sat in silence watching Bethany sleep, delighting over her with quiet love.

Oh, Elohim, God of all creation, what a wonder that You want me as Your child! You hold me tightly grasped within Your hands. You are El Roi, the God who sees and responds! You are YHWH-Shalom and YHWH-Rohi, the God of peace, the God who loves...even in the middle of the night, even if I'm just lonely and want to see You, Father, You are there. My childlike eyes look up to You and You are there! You are not silent. You are singing over me with quiet love.

"Shout for joy, O daughter of Zion!
Shout in triumph, O Israel!
Rejoice and exult with all your heart,
O daughter of Jerusalem!
The LORD has taken away His judments against you,
He has cleared away your enemies.
The King of Israel, the LORD, is in your midst;
You fear disaster no more.
In that day it will be said to Jerusalem:
"Do not be afraid, O Zion;
Do not let your hands fall limp.
The LORD your God is in your midst,
A victorious warrior.
He will exult over you with joy,
He will be quiet in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.
-Zephaniah 3:14-17

No comments:

Post a Comment