Sunday, July 25, 2010

I Believe You Can Fly!

"The old woman was lying on a small sofa, propped up by pillows. Her body was bent and twisted by multiple sclerosis. Her aged husband spent all his time caring for her since she was unable to move off the sofa. I (Corrie ten Boom) walked across the room and kissed her wrinkled cheek. She tried to look up but the muscles in her neck were atrophied so she could only roll her eyes upward and smile. She raised her right hand, slowly, in jerks. It was the only part of her body she could control and with her gnarled and deformed knuckles she caressed my face. I reached over and kissed the index finger of that hand, for it was with this one finger that she had so long glorified God.

Beside her couch was a vintage typewriter. Each morning her faithful husband would rise, praising the Lord. After caring for his wife's needs and feeding her a simple breakfast, he would prop her into a sitting position on the couch, placing pillows all around her so she wouldn't topple over. Then he would move that ancient black typewriter in front of her on a small table. From an old cupboard he would remove a stack of cheap yellow paper. Then with that blessed one finger, she would begin to type.

All day and far into the night she would type. She translated Christian books into Russian, Latvian, and the language of her people. Always using just that one finger...peck...peck..peck...She typed out the pages. Portions of the Bible, the books of Billy Graham, Watchman Nee and Corrie ten Boom, all came from her typewriter.

"Not only does she translate their books," her husband said as he hovered close during our conversation, "but she prays for these people every day while she types. Sometimes it takes a long time for her finger to hit the key, or for her to get the paper in the machine, but all the time she is praying for those whose books she is working on."

"Oh, Lord, why don't You heal her?" I (Corrie ten Boom) cried inwardly.

Her husband, sensing my anguish of soul, gave the answer. "God has a purpose in her sickness. Every other Christian in the city is watched by the secret police. But because she has been sick so long, no one ever looks in on her. They leave us alone and she is the only person in all the city who can type quietly, undetected by the police."*

Oh, Beloved Ones. Let us believe God can do what He says He can do! He likes His plan of using weak, imperfect people to carry out His will. In our weakness, He is made strong.

Did you ever wonder, "What if I took a leap of faith? What if I were willing to risk everything for Him, to walk by faith,not sight? What could God do with the little I have to give Him? Is He calling me?

Oh, my darlings, go to the edge of life and jump! You'll fly. I promise! You'll mount up on wings like an eagle. You'll rest beneath the shelter of His wings.

"He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power. Though youths grow weary and tired, and vigorous young men stumble badly, yet thoe who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary." --Isaiah 40:29-31

"Do not fear, for I am with you. Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you! Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." --Isaiah 41:10

I believe in you.
Karen

*The above is a true story from Lithuania, on the Baltic Sea in Russia,recorded by Corrie ten Boom,in her wonderful book, "Tramp for the Lord")

No comments:

Post a Comment