Monday, July 19, 2010

Like Smoke Through a Keyhole

The clock keeps ticking. I'm watching the morning slip in on cat paws. Time keeps on slipping away into the future...like smoke through a key hole. My days on earth are numbered.

"Only one life, 'twill soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last." I've sung that old hymn since childhood, but it's now, in the middle years of my life, that the thought has permeated my innermost heart and surprised me with joy.

I love getting older. For decades I have shared that truth with the young women I meet in campus ministry. In a world where society values outward appearance and fights to "stay young", it is new thought.

My spiritual daughter, Angela, once asked me when I discovered the best time of my life. Was it when I enjoyed young children? No. Watching children grow and change is even better. Was it when I became a spiritual mother? No. It is delightful having spiritual children and grandchildren, but it gets even better.

As time passes, my relationship with Father grows deeper and more precious. He opens my heart and fills it with joy over-flowing and peace that abides in the midst of trials. So is now the best time ever? No. As my spiritual daughters delight in having spiritual daughters of their own, I am amazed. The great passion of my life has been putting Titus 2:3-5 into action. It has worked just as Father promised it would. He blesses my humble-stumble of effort and gives me multiplied portions of blessings.

Even though aging does add difficulties, life continues to get better and better. Then I will die...and I'm thinking Heaven will be better than anything I've ever known!

The clock keeps ticking. I'm watching another morning slip in on cat paws. Time keeps on slipping away into the future...like smoke through a key hole. My days on earth are numbered...*smile...Living forever? Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment