Thursday, January 19, 2012

Make It True

"That was excellent, Alex," I applauded. "That was exactly right. I'm so proud of your hard work! You're becoming a terrific musician."

Six year old Alex beamed at my praise then sighed deeply with contentment.  "Will you write that down in my book so it will be true?"

Even my adult piano students appreciate having me write comments and praises in their assignment books. Encouraging words among the goals and assignments train them to see themselves beyond the present day. It helps them build bigger dreams. Hope springs to life in the promise that they can be much better musicians in years to come if the practice and determination for improvement continues.

I picked up a pen in his favorite color and wrote:  Alex, that was excellent. That was exactly right. I'm so proud of your hard work! You're becoming a terrific musician.

God does the same for His children, His students, doesn't He? The Bible shows us everything we need for life and godliness, the goals and assignments for following Jesus. He also helps us to look beyond where we are today so we don't become discouraged by our mistakes and weaknesses.

I dream of someday being truly excellent in my spiritual walk. My hope is continually renewed by His promise that I can be much better at following His commands in the years to come. My practice and determination for improvement will continue until He finishes His good work in me.

"Gonna play your songs a bunch of times this week, Alex?"

He looked at me and grinned. "Yep. And people all over the world will clap for me when I play piano and they will sing my songs."

It's a big dream. Somehow, I think the student will far surpass the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment