Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Whirlwind Disciple

Walk by faith, not by sight.
I remember the shining eyes and exuberant grin of my two-year-old whirlwind as he dashed out the door in his faded overalls and worn tennis shoes. "Mommy, me and God are going for a bike ride to catch the bad guys. Be back by lunch!"

How far can the bad guys go in a fenced in yard?, I wondered, and then the magnitude of his words soaked into my heart. My child had his own faith in God, the sureness that God is there and that He cares about people. My son, in his own small way, wanted to make a difference in the world. Standing in my kitchen, I was so overwhelmed with the fullness of praise and complete joy that I had to sit down.

The discipling home is a world where children of God grow at their own pace. To impress upon a child's heart the importance of having faith in God will be one of the hardest things you ever do. Create a soft place for your child to fall, to make mistakes, to learn disciplines while walking alongside of you. God is there and He cares about people. Teach your child to make a difference in the world.

My son just returned home from the fire station. He spent the early morning hours on the icy snow covered roads searching for people who were in need. He walked in the door, laughing, contented though weary. Grabbing a bottle of water out of the fridge, he drained it, visiting with me for a few minutes. As he headed off to bed for some well earned sleep, my mother-heart was left to ponder.

Parenting is a long winding road. You will be overwhelmed at times with the sharp curves, blind corners, and deep potholes. God is faithful. He is both the Author and the Finisher of your child's faith. He is guarding that life you have trusted to Him. Standing in my kitchen, I was so overwhelmed with the fullness of praise and complete joy that I had to sit down.

He tends His flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries them close to His heart;  He gently leads those that have young. ~Isaiah 40:11

No comments:

Post a Comment