Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Patience Waits

"You  have the most beautiful hair on the planet!" I told the young woman at our worship service. (I know, right? Sometimes I am so spiritually minded it's amazing!)

On the college campus I see girls like Amy all the time. A cheery smile and sweet laugh softens already lovely features. A splatter of freckles and wavy brown hair give a Hollywood appearance of a girl-next-door. Amy looks like everyone's favorite brunette cheerleader with a bubbly personality to match.

Last night Amy sat on the front row in the prison chapel where my husband and I spend our Monday nights providing a worship service. Her heart seemed to burst with gratitude and delight as she sang and encouraged the friend she brought with her to join in the discussion during my teaching time.

Women in the prison have jobs, classes, activities and responsibilities. Amy used to regularly attend Monday Night Worship.  She loved the singing and teaching, the friendship and encouragement provided. When her work schedule changed she had to stop attending for awhile.

Ten years was a long time for Amy to wait. Every Monday night during that decade she knew we were there singing, praising, encouraging and learning together. And Amy worked and waited, missed us and hoped for the day when she could worship with us again.
 
Ten years. Sometimes I have difficulty waiting for my toast to brown before my egg gets cold.
 
Humility is having a teachable heart~Lord, teach me to be more like Amy when I grow up.
 
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. ~James 1:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment