Sunday, January 15, 2012

Make My Lifesong Sing


Make My Lifesong Sing.

That's my "One Thing" for 2012. It fills me with hope and excitement. What might God do in my life this year?

Billy Graham's excellent new book, Nearing Home was written when he was 92 years old.  It was a delight to read a book about being elderly written by such a trustworthy elderly Christian.  He offers the challenge to live a well-ordered life and to finish the life race strong.

I will be 55 years young in April.  I am enthusiastic about getting older and becoming the woman God is creating me to be.  But I have not adequately prepared myself spiritually for old age.  This year with much help from God, I will change that fact.

There are entire industries and hundreds of books dedicated to preparing ourselves for our senior years.  We get plenty of advice on how to prepare financially, medically and legally.   We plan ahead to ensure adequate housing and to provide for our families.

But are we devoting as much attention to preparing ourselves spiritually for old age?  Why is it we seldom hear sermons or read books with specific advice on how to prepare for a faith that will sustain us through our elderly years?

It's January now, and I'm thinking and planning and brainstorming ideas on how to train myself to sustain my song of praise through all the seasons of my life.  By December I will have a year of training behind me and be much better prepared for the years ahead, whether they be few or many. 

Losing my hearing doesn't mean I need to stop listening to God's Words.  Losing my eyesight doesn't have to take away my spiritual vision. Losing my independence doesn't have to be overwhelming if I am depending on Him.

Let my lifesong sing to You
I want to sign Your name to the end of this day
Knowing that my heart was true
Let my lifesong sing to You

No comments:

Post a Comment