Friday, January 7, 2011

Dance of Joy

I have chosen joy to be my life guiding word. Because it is my name, I have pondered joy since childhood. Not only do I desire to cultivate joy in my life, but I long to share it with others.

Joy bubbles forth from the very heartspring of the Giver of Life. God is the author of joy, the fullness of complete joy. Celebrating His joy motivated Him to share His joy. The Great Joy-Giver came that we might have life, and have it more abundantly. The abundant life is a joyful life.

Joy comes from denying ourselves and bearing up under burdens. It arrives in the midst of pain, sorrow and difficulties, surprising us with its intensity. Unlike happiness which is temporary and dependent on circumstances, joy bubbles forth from the inside out, eternally flowing from the source of joy, God.

When I am weary, God calls me to Him for Sabbath rest. His peace, which passes understanding, floods my heart. As peace soothes away weariness, His joy fills me up and overflows. This wellspring of joy is available to me no matter what may be the circumstances in my life.

His joy splashes over me, drenching me, causing me to dance with pure delight as I keep in step with the Spirit, walking by faith and not sight. I must become less. He must became greater.

Corrie ten Boom explained worry as "a cycle of inefficient thoughts whirling around a center of fear". Wouldn't joy be a cycle of efficient thoughts dancing around the center of life?

"Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls." ~I Peter 1:8, 9

No comments:

Post a Comment