Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Angels in Action

"Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord
which He will accomplish for you today.
The Lord shall fight for you and ye shall hold your peace."
~Exodus 14:14
Early one morning after taking my husband and son to work, I was almost killed in an automobile crash. There is no logical, physical way that my car was not smashed between two trailer trucks. Time and vision blurred and I was simply no longer in their pathway. That it was not my fault would have been little comfort to the loved ones left in shock and grief without me.

I pulled over to the side of Interstate 70 to collect my thoughts and to pray. I turned off the engine with a shaking hand and rested my head against the seat rest, tearfully closing my eyes, welcoming stillness. As I always do when I am afraid, I went to the place in my heart that allows me to crawl into the lap of my Heavenly Father, my Papa-God, and feel completely safe. The knowledge that such a tremendous grief had so narrowly escaped the lives of the people who love me was overwhelming.

As human emotions began to subside and peaceful assurances took their place, I was once again filled with praise for a God who is big enough to hold me tight and comfort me, and to provide angels to guard my every step. Truly, He is the God who is able, the God who sees, the God who is in control of my days.

The world portrays angels as mystical, beautiful and fragile women. The evil one would like us to believe they are human-like or merely departed loved ones who watch out for us. Today I stood in the presence of angels in action. They stood powerfully strong, courageous, in complete control of the danger that I faced. These angels were real. They had nothing to do with human musings and everything to do with the glory of an awesome God who fights for me, a God who is able to accomplish what He says He will accomplish.

As I pulled back on to the interstate and headed for home, I shook my head in awe and smiled. What a mighty God we serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment