Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Tea Party for Callie

Callie has lived a hard life. Smoking and poor nutrition have stolen her teeth. Meth has stolen her beauty. Cruel abuse ravaged her body and left her soul empty. Sin and hopelessness left her with shame beyond measure, a prisoner of sin before she was ever arrested and sent to prison.

And then Jesus came to the prison and set the captive free. She has been redeemed. Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifice for Callie. She adores Him with incredible depth of passion. She sings to Him with fullness of joy. She talks about Him with confidence and radical faith.

Not only has Callie never been to a tea party, but she has never eaten a homecooked meal. Not only has she never been tucked into bed at night but she's never had a home where there was a bed.

"Prison has given me everything, Karen," she told me last night. "I'm safe and I have a bed and food and friends. Most of all I met Jesus here. I was never free until I got locked up! And when I get out of here someday, you and me and Jesus, we're gonna have us a big old tea party!"

Then he said to them, "Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For he who is least among you all—he is the greatest." ~Luke 9:48

Callie makes that verse come to life for me. Most people would look at her as the least among us, but she is one of the riches women I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment