Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Seraiah's Eyes

I remember the first time I held Seraiah and looked into her beautiful eyes.

I love the way Seraiah's eyes sparkle when she bubbles up with excitement and the way they tear up before she even realizes she's going to cry. I love the way they snap when she's angry and the way they widen when she's surprised. I love the way they light up when she runs into my arms for the hug she knows is always waiting.

When God was knitting her together in her mother's womb I prayed for her to have her mommy's smile and her daddy's eyes. God said yes and she has both the twinkle of her daddy's eyes and her mommy's beautiful smile.

One Sunday morning an exhausted and fussy 2 year old Seraiah fell asleep in Shannon's arms during church. Shannon and I treasured the moment as we sat together, both because of the sweetness of the sleeping child and because Seraiah had quite worn both of us out that morning.

Seraiah woke up with a big smile and bright eyes, ready to delight in life and the people around her. She put her little hands on the face of her mother and looked her in the eyes. It reminded me of a quote by George Eliot:

"My life began with waking up and loving my mother's face."

Never underestimate the importance of being there for the little ones that God has entrusted to your life. Who you are matters. What you do matters. Your loving smile, your tender touches, your welcoming eyes, your gentle hugs and your encouraging words.

Love the children. Enjoy them. Bless them.

No comments:

Post a Comment