Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Songbird Dances with a Butterfly

"Hurry, Songbird! Come and see!" I called through the door to Carolanne.


"What is it?" she asked, eyes wide with expectation.


I pointed to the milkweed bush. "Look, Songbird! Our first Monarch butterfly!"


With more enthusiasm than could be contained in her little body, Carolanne danced with joy. When she stopped her "Happy Dance" to rest, she snuggled in to me, perfectly still, delighted with God's creation.


Perhaps the butterfly simply happened into our yard, but possibly she was born here last year and has returned. Carolanne is sure it's returning to see her. The Monarch hasn't said. We have been watching for signs that the Monarch will stay and lay eggs so that we can watch the fascinating process of life in the making.


Tonight as I was watering the tomatoes in my garden, the Monarch landed on the blackberry bushes beside me to dance about in the cooling sprays of water. She must have had more enthusiasm than she could contain in her little body because once she stopped her "Happy Dance" to rest, she snuggled in, perfectly still, delighted with God's creation.


No comments:

Post a Comment