Thursday, October 7, 2010

Walking the Marriage Road

On my wedding day, over three decades ago, I believed with all my heart that I loved my husband. With the optimism and daring of youth, we set off down the yellow brick road of life.

Among our treasury of wisdom we collected these two gems: The closer a couple grows to God, the closer they grow to one another. Commitment means never even thinking the word divorce.

The road has been like many winding Missouri roads with smooth stretches covered in lovely scenery to take your breath away. Detours, potholes, sharp curves and dangers have been waiting just around the bends. Walking peacefully, sometimes running in terror, often puzzled and confused, we continue our journey over new ground and back trails.

The years have changed us. I understand now that I had no idea what love was on my wedding day. I was looking at my husband with dream filled eyes, settling for handsome and kind, a man who longed to be godly someday.

The true measure of a man is his faithfulness to God through the years. His character appears through his willingness to follow Jesus as he leads his family down life’s road, come what may. It takes a few years to learn such things.

One night there was a homicide in our neighborhood. A man was randomly shot and killed in the place where my husband had been peacefully walking our beagle, Katie, just hours before. In the short time it took for a bullet to go from a gun to a heart, another wife became a widow. It could have been me.

We do not know what lies in the road before us. We walk by faith and not by sight. Marriage grows strong through the optimism and daring of steadfast commitment, not of youth.

The closer we each get to God, the closer we are to one another. As we travel along the often dangerous cliffs of aging, I understand commitment more each day. God is faithful to keep His promises and loving toward all He has made. It's a worthwhile promise to emulate along the marriage road.

We are breaking ground as we travel along together, pioneers in many of our ministries and opportunities. Wise advise proves itself true as the decades slide past. Training ourselves to be closer to God brings us continually closer to one another. Commitment and love come through practice.

Robert Frost penned, in his poem, “The Road Not Taken”:

“I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”

No comments:

Post a Comment