Saturday, November 27, 2010

Loving Joy

"We hunger for joy. 'Satisfy us in the morning,' writes the psalmist - but not with more money or power or applause. 'Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love so that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.'

Joyful people make us come alive.

When the book of law was read to the people in Nehemiah's day, they were overwhelmed by inadequacy and guilt. Nehemiah gave to them and us a remarkable statement: 'The joy of the Lord is your strength.' We know we love joy, but we often forget the power of joy. Joy gives us the strength to resist temptation. It brings the ability to persevere. Joy is the Velcro that makes relationships stick. Joy gives us energy to love. A person who brings joy to us is an oasis in a desert land. We don't just need air and food and water. We need joy."

John Ortberg, "The Me I Want to Be"

Father, won't You please cultivate joy in me? Fill the soil of my life with joy-seeds that grow stronger and healthier every day. Water my spirit with Your lovingkindness until I am dripping with grace. You are My Joy, My Strength and My Song. You are My Glory and the One who lifts my head to The Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment