Monday, December 6, 2010

Creating from Nothing

The alarm pierced through restless sleep announcing morning. Crisp autumn breezes have turned to fierce winter winds in a 16 degree world. I dropped an open canister of coffee, burnt my finger making toast and my "to do" list is longer than usual. My arthritic body feels every moment of enjoying yesterday with 15 of my spiritual grandchildren and their parents.

Just between you, me and the gatepost, my delight in Monday mornings is more difficult to find than my research notes which have mysteriously disappeared. The potential for becoming the worst version of myself this morning is huge. Ever been there?

Tonight at the prison I will speak to the women about "The God of Comfort". The title makes Father sound quiet and decidedly quiescent. Why do we think of the God who rested on the seventh day as inactive? Doesn't He sit on the throne watching the world spin? Have you ever assumed that He loves and forgives you, but is rather disappointed in what little gets accomplished? "There, there, good and faithful servant. I'll forgive you for not being perfect. After all, you're only human."

The earth was without form and void. Darkness was on the face of the deep. Out of this nothingness, God created the heavens and the earth. It is Jehovah-God who lives and works within us to accomplish His good purposes. Tough mornings light up that truth like Christmas tree lights. He takes a day when I have nothing to give and works it for his glory. My God is a consuming fire. He is wild. He has thunder in His footsteps and lightning in His fists.

Father. There is nothing in me that is able to accomplish the simplest of tasks on this Monday morning. I know it. You know it. In my weakness, You are made strong. What I am able to do, I will do. You are the God who is able to do more than I ask or imagine that You can do with this day. I want to sign my name to the end of this day knowing that You created something out of nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment