Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Truly Thankful

Burrowing into my soft robe, I snuggled under a quilt before the fire, a steaming cup of tea warming my hands. Soft jazz soothed my weary spirit. As I breathed in the lingering sweetness of gingerbread and glanced around at the photos of my healthy loved ones, I smiled. The cheerful surroundings called me to a thankful heart with a relaxed ease. A harsh winter may come this year and I shiver at the very idea, but my heart, fueled by gratitude, frequently bursts forth into song.

But am I truly grateful or am I reacting to creature comforts and happy thoughts? Am I thankful only when life is going as planned?

An avalanche of misery and suffering in the world can so quickly overwhelm us. Burrowing into a robe of complacency and snuggling under a quilt of thanksgiving is a mistake however cozy we can make ourselves feel. That sort of thanksgiving is temporary and accomplishes nothing.

Faith that moves mountains starts with being truly thankful in all seasons of life. The me I want to be is beckoning me toward a life of deeper faith, a faith fueled by gratitude no matter what my circumstances. My God is a consuming fire. Blaze, Spirit, blaze! Set our hearts on fire!

Won't you join me? Couldn't we fan the flames in one another and melt the avalanche of misery and suffering around us? Wouldn't the greatest ThanksGiving be that moment when we realize we have indeed made a difference in the lives of people around us?

No comments:

Post a Comment